Holistic Teaching of Science: An International Teachers Workshop & Fellowship (REGISTER HERE)
World Science Collaborative Ltd (United Kingdom), in collaboration with, South East Asian Ministerial Organisation (SEAMEO) – QITEP In Science, Indonesia, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), The Aga Khan University – Institute of Education Development (AKU-IED), and Qatar University, Qatar, as well as partners Khawarzimi Science Society (KSS), Lahore; Pakistan Innovation Foundation, Pakistan, and STEMx – STEM School for the World, Islamabad presents a unique workshop to enable teachers to explore and learn how to teach science holistically.
In our society, teaching of science is often extremely siloed and compartmentalised whereby the science teacher delivers the content in the classroom but does not relate what is being taught to the real world nor brings forth (or draws upon) the diverse body of knowledge available in disciplines such as history, philosophy, religion and ethics. In doing so, he/she runs the risk, at the very least, of leaving the scientific learning unconnected, or much worse, leaving the students more confused than informed.
It is absolutely critical, therefore, to teach science holistically i.e. connect the learning in the classroom with the real world, for example, by:
* Bringing together knowledge from diverse sources and disciplines such as science, history, philosophy, religion, and ethics?
* Using hands-on experiments and play to bring inspiration and insight in the science classroom?
* Planning lessons that adequately address the curious minds of students and encourage critical inquiry?
* Addressing Big Philosophical Questions that stem from scientific discoveries such as Big Bang, Multiverses, Genetics, Evolution, Artificial Intelligence, etc.
The Holistic Teaching of Science Workshop is OPEN to ALL Teachers of Science in Middle School (Grades 7-9) at any public, private, or religious (madrassa) school who struggles with teaching modern science in the classroom and wants to do better.
The Holistic Science Teaching Online (Hybrid) Workshop is 3rd of 6 Workshops that will be carried out in Pakistan, Indonesia, and Qatar between Dec 2022 and July 2025. The Team comprises some of the leading researchers and scholars such as:
- Dr. Nidhal Guessoum, Professor of Astrophysics, American University of Sharjah (AUS), Science Communicators, and author of Young Muslim’s Guide to Modern Science
- Dr. Noman ul Haq, Prof and Dean of School of Humanities and Liberal Arts at University of Management and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
- Dr. Farid Panjwani, Director of Center for Research and Evaluation in Muslim Education (CREME), UCL Institute of Education, London, United Kingdom
- Dr. Faisal Bari, Professor and Dean, School of Education, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) Lahore, Pakistan
- Dr. Sabieh Anwar, Physicist and Science Communicator, Lahore University of Mgmt. Sciences (LUMS) and the co-founder of Khawarzimi Science Society (KSS)
- Dr. Faisal Khan, Asst Professor, University of Engineering and Applied Sciences (UEAS), Swat and co-Founder Peshawar 2.0 and SynbioKP
- Dr. Abubakr Muhammad, Professor and Director of Center for Water Informatics WIT), Lahore University of Mgmt. Sciences (LUMS)
- Dr. Tasneem Anwar, Asst. Prof. of Science Education, AKU-Institute of Educational Development, Karachi, Pakistan
- Dr. Nasser Mansoor, Associate Professor of Science Education, Exeter University and Qatar University, Doha, Qatar
- Dr. Indarjani S Soeratno, Professor and Dean, School of Sciences and Technology, Islamic University of As-Sayaffiah (UIA), Jakarta, Indonesia
- Dr. Athar Osama, Science Policymaker and Founder of World Science Collaborative Ltd, Pakistan Innovation Foundation and STEMx, Pakistan
THE APPLICATION & FELLOWSHIP PROCESS:
Stage 1: Teachers are welcome to apply through our application form by Sept 20, 2023.
Stage 2: Teachers will be longlisted and invited to an interview between Sept 23 and 30, 2023.
Stage 3: Shortlisted teachers shall be invited to submit a Video Recording of a Live Lecture in the Classroom + Letter of Support from their principal/academic supervisor indicating that they have permission to apply the learning in their classrooms (between Nov 2023-Apr 2024).
Stage 4: Zoom Interviews will be carried out between Oct 1 and 15. A Final List of Selected Teachers shall be announced by Oct 20 after consultations with Principals/Academic Coordinators to assess their willingness and support.
Stage 5: Online (Hybrid) Teacher Workshop will run from Nov 8-11, 2023 (in person) and Nov 25, 2023 (via Zoom)
Stage 6: Fellowship commences Jan 1, 2024 and runs through the Jan – Apr 2024 session.
The Language of the Workshop shall be English. Functional understanding English is mandatory. However, supplementary support for Bahasa Indonesia may be available to teachers who may need it. Selected Teachers may, however, teach in any language in their classrooms.
Answers to the ESSAY QUESTION may be given in ENGLISH, or through a RECORDED VIDEO MESSAGE.
There is NO REGISTRATION FEE.
Teachers must be employed and scheduled to teach 7-9 grade science at their school during school term Jan – April 2024.
Teachers from all regions of Indonesia as well as from Malaysia and Brunei Darussalam are encouraged to apply. However, access to livestreaming internet in the area is a REQUIREMENT.
Limited Seats (40-45) are available so apply as soon as possible. Admissions may be made on a rolling basis for the convenience of the attendees.
Apply here before Sept 20, 2023 for an opportunity to attend the workshop and join the Fellowship.
If you have any questions about the workshop or filling out this form, please contact: email@example.com or call at +62 821 2345 0630