Who we are
Pakistan Innovation Foundation (PIF) is an apolitical and non-partisan private-sector driven entity charged with developing and executing an analytically rigorous, evidence-based, and deeply passionate agenda to promote science, innovation, and entrepreneurship in the Pakistani society.
Above all, PIF will seek to create a genuine national dialogue on science and innovation across the country involving key stakeholders across the sectoral divide – such as government, businesses, industry, and academia – as well as individuals, civil society actors, and political forces of all types and persuasions.
The PIF will seek to address a number of cross- cutting themes across a range of different issues that affect science and innovation in the country in an integrated and holistic manner.
- Create and sustain a societal dialogue on scientific knowledge, culture, and critical thinking;
- Promote advocate science and innovation policies, infrastructure, and funding;
- Promote investments in human capital, including STEM, higher education, and research capacity;
- Re-energizing the country’s science establishment through a national vision, a social contract, and goal-oriented research;
- Create a playing field and a platform for greater private sector participation in science and innovation.
Pakistan’s Science and Innovation suffers through a series of multiple challenges, including, a governance and implementation challenge, a funding challenge, and a culture challenge. In addition, a lack of ‘social contract’ between scientists and the society produces uneven development of science across different areas such as defense and strategic industries, agriculture, chemical and biology, and engineering. Only through an extensive and structured dialogue could a “social contract” be established between the scientists-innovators and the citizens-taxpayers and Pakistan could develop a robust policy and culture for science and innovation and hope to transform itself – in due course – into a knowledge-innovation economy of the 21st century.
PIF shall develop and execute a ‘core’ program of activities including:
- Program of awareness activities on innovation across universities and private sector;
- Become lead champion and advocate for innovation in the society;
- Support and carry out a program of research and analysis on innovation;
- Actively seek and develop opportunities for wealth creation from innovation;
- Raise public, private, and donor support for innovation;
- Convene key stakeholders in support of an innovation agenda.